CRANBERRY BREAD

For those of you who have checked in on this blog, in the month of December, I truly apologize for my negligence. The holidays brings on so much activity that, though I had lots of anecdotes and recipes to share, getting to the computer proved to be  a little difficult. So forgive me, and perhaps we can share the season, together, in the quiet, hibernating month of January, as we welcome in the New Year. Happy 2013.

My Mother-In-Law, Jody Marcia  Strohl, has been making this bread every year during the Christmas season since the year of my husbands birth. Suffice it to say that that was a very, very long time ago. Michael has continued the tradition. He bakes several mini-loaves, and shares them with family and friends along with a bottle of cheer. It can be toasted and topped with cream cheese or a slice of cheddar, but I enjoy it simply on its own. My Mother serves it at tea time, and my children nibble on it while emptying their stocking on Christmas morning (yes, they still do that). I didn't grow up with Christmas, being born to Hindu parents, but I cherish the Strohl traditions, and hope that my children will carry them on.
I post this recipe, with Moms permission, for all who could use a touch of sweet and comfort during the winter chill. After all, traditions are for sharing. Happy Holidays.

RECIPE
1 9" Loaf

2 cups cranberry
3/4 cups chopped nuts
2 tablespoons butter melted
2 cups flour
1 cup
1 3/4 cup baking powder
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1 egg
 1/3 cup orange juice
1 teaspoon orange rind


Cut the cranberries in half and add them to the chopped nuts.
Melt butter and set aside to cool.
Sift together all the dry ingredients.
Lightly beat the egg and mix with the orange juice, 1/4 cup of water and the melted butter.
Add to dry ingredients and mix just enough to moisten.
Add the cranberries, nuts and orange rind, and mix, gently.
Bake for 1 hour at 350.





Comments

Popular posts from this blog

MACARONI AND CHEESE (ODE TO EDNA LEWIS)

GREEN SAUCE

GRANDMA'S SWISS STEAK