CHICKEN FRIED STEAK

I think that I've mentioned my love of Southern American food. Mac & Cheese, Fried Catfish, Collard Greens, Fried Chicken etc. etc. So when my brother, Vijay, gave me  Paula Deans' Southern Cooking Bible for Christmas,  the year to come looked rich and delicious. When I think of Paula Dean I envision butter, butter, and more butter. And though "nothing is better than butter"-as you well know, Paula darling- too much is a health concern. This humble dish can be quite healthy. It is a lean source of protien, and for those of you who abstain from red meat, a pounded chicken breast can work as well. I made a few tweaks, but I stayed with Paula's direction for the most part. Paula's version does not use butter, and I do! A batter-sauted steak is drizzled with a peppery cream sauce. Serve it with cheese laced grits, and a medley of vegetables and savor every bite. It may taste like a guilty pleasure, but guess what? It's not.

RECIPE
Serves 4

4 4-5 oz cubed steaks, about 1/4" thick
1 cup flour 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder 1/2 teaspoon onion powder 1/2 teaspoon black pepper salt to taste
1 cup whole milk or buttermilk
1 egg
2 tablespoons vegetable oil + 2 tablespoon butter
1 cup beef broth
1 cup milk

Mix together the flour and seasonings
In a separate bowl, beat the milk and egg together.
Dredge the steaks in the flour, then the milk mixture
letting excess drip off, and dredge in flour again.
In a cast iron skillet, heat the oil and butter, until shimmering.
Cook the steaks 3 minutes per side and transfer to a paper towel-lined plate.

Add 3 tablespoon of the seasoned flour and broth to the skillet and whisk, on low heat, until smooth.
Add the milk and continue to stir until creamy and thickened.
Serve the gravy with the steak.






Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

MACARONI AND CHEESE (ODE TO EDNA LEWIS)

GREEN SAUCE

GRANDMA'S SWISS STEAK