CHILI CHICKEN

My mother makes this chicken dish smothered with lots of onions and spices.It is rich and decadent, and has always been  a favorite of mine. While raising my family "Chili Chicken" was constantly requested by my kids. I made the dish with Chicken Wings, and we ate it with a Cabbage tossed with Mustard Seeds, and lots of hot Whole Wheat Breads called Chapatis.
Last night my husband, Michael, asked if I could prepare it, and I realized that it was the first time that I was cooking the dish for only 2 people. My mind traveled through time, from dining with my parents and my brother while growing up, to having meals with my children and their father, to the present, where its just the 2 of us at the table. Throughout, this dish continues to delight.
Life keeps changing and those around our dining table evolve, but if we share past pleasures we can spread the joy for years and generations to come.
Thanks, Mom!

RECIPE
SERVES 2

2 tablespoons canola oil
6 chicken wings
2 large onions sliced
2" piece ginger minced
1 teaspoon turmeric
1 teaspoon red chili powder
1 teaspoon salt

Saute onions in the oil for 10 minutes, until goden.
Add ginger and saute for 1 minute
Place wings skin side down, and brown on medium high heat.
Turn wings over, sprinkle with spices and salt, and mix thouroughly.
Add  1/2 cup water, bring to a boil, and simmer, partially covered, for 45 minutes, untl onions have melted into a thick sauce.
Serve with Hot Chapatis.
 



 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

MACARONI AND CHEESE (ODE TO EDNA LEWIS)

GREEN SAUCE

GRANDMA'S SWISS STEAK