MY MOTHERS SPANISH/MEXICAN RICE



What is comfort food?
For a Japanese it may be a bowl of noodles, for a South Indian (like me), perhaps some rice and Sambar, (a lentil stew), and for my daughter, Layla, it is, unquestionably, my Mothers grilled cheese sandwich.
When I was growing up, comfort food in my family meant Spanish or Mexican Rice, even though neither culture has any bearing on my familys' origin. Nevertheless, it made us happy and gave us comfort.
I prepared this dish the other day, for my family and my daughter, Sarinas', friends. My Mother always served it with a Cucumber Salad with Yoghurt and Dill, and so did I.
As the "Mmmmmmmmmmms" buzzed through the room, I am happy to report that my Moms' comfort food continues on to the next generation.
Try it and Enjoy!

We called it Spanish Rice, but the recipe say Mexican. I dont think it is either!

RECIPE
(6servings)
3 tablespoons olive oil
1/2 cup raw rice
1 onion, thinly sliced
3 clove garlic, minced
1 lb ground beef
1 tablesppoon chili powder
1/3 cup ketchup (yes Ketchup)
20 oz tomatoes
1 cup vegetables*
1 cup water
salt and pepper to taste

*I used celery and zucchini, but you can use any vegetable combination.

Heat the oil and stir in the rice until lightly browned.
Ad onions, garlic and meat, and stir until meat is browned.
Stir in chili powder, ketchup, tomatoes, vegetables, water and seasonings.
Cover and simmer, stirring occasionally, until rice is tender.

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

MACARONI AND CHEESE (ODE TO EDNA LEWIS)

GREEN SAUCE

GRANDMA'S SWISS STEAK