PENNE WITH BUTTERNUT SQUASH


I can't believe it's been 7 years since I started this blog, with encouragement from my children and friends. I was unemployed and miserable and my solace was cooking and revisiting dishes from my youth. People started asking me for recipes and a friend suggested a blog. I was quite prolific in those initial months, and without sounding overly dramatic, my new found hobby saved my sanity in those trying times. Staying focused and being somewhat creative (I was hopelessly computer inept) kept me from sliding into depression and panic. It also made me more confident with the computer as it taught me to explore different programs and apply them to my profession as a healthcare provider.
                            
Eventually, I did land a job, and my daily duties of work and home made my blogging increasingly erratic. Once again, my children's encouragement was reinforced when they presented me with a new computer for my birthday.

I thought it fitting that I begin with a recipe that my daughter, Layla, and I shared and tweaked those 7 years ago. I found it in my archives and wondered why I had not included it earlier. This is fast and easy and can be vegetarian or non-veg. It is delicious either way. And if you are like me, there are never enough pasta recipes. 

RECIPE
2-4 servings 

1 lb. butternut squash peeled, seeded and diced
1 onion diced
olive oil to drizzle
salt and pepper
8 oz. penne pasta (or pasta of choice)
4 oz. goats cheese, crumbled
1/2 cup toasted walnuts coarsely chopped OR  2 rashes bacon fried. drained and crumbled
1/2 cup fresh basil chopped
1/2 cup parmesan cheese

Preheat oven to 425 degrees
On a baking sheet, toss the butternut squash and onions with olive oil salt and pepper 
Roast in the oven for 40-45 minutes. remove from oven and allow to cool.
Place in a large enough pan to accommodate pasta and sauce.

Cook the pasta in boiling, well-salted water, for 8 minutes.

Add drained pasta and 1 cup pasta water into the pan along with the goats cheese.
Stir on high heat, reducing the water and creating a nice creamy sauce.
Take the pan off the heat and toss in  the walnuts or bacon, the basil and a 1/4 cup cheese Sprinkle with remaining parmesan, a drizzle of olive oil and serve.






Comments

Popular posts from this blog

MACARONI AND CHEESE (ODE TO EDNA LEWIS)

GREEN SAUCE

GRANDMA'S SWISS STEAK