ROASTED CURRIED CAULIFLOWER

When I met my husband he ate 2 vegetables - spinach and broccoli. I like spinach and broccoli so I thought I could accommodate. After a month I did not want to look at either spinach or broccoli ever again. So I decided that I was going to make myself any vegetable I felt like, and he could just abstain. Cauliflower is the side dish that I prepared, and barely consumed, since Michael devoured most of it. The "spinach-broccoli era" had come to an end. Thank God!
The moral of the story is that one can rethink their likes and dislikes when foods are prepared differently. I like to introduce people to simple Indian recipes because cooking Indian food seems daunting to many, my daughter, Layla, included. Here you roast the cauliflower with the onions and spices, sprinkle with herbs, and enjoy!

RECIPE
Serves 4-6

1 mediium cauliflower florets
1 medium red onion, peeled, and sliced
1 teaspoon coriander seeds
1 teaspoon cumin seeds
1/4 cup olive oil
2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
2 teaspoons curry powder
1 tablespoon Hungarian hot paprika
2 teaspoons salt
1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro


Preparation

Preheat oven to 450°F.
Place cauliflower floretsand red onion slices in a roasting pan.
Toast coriander seeds and cumin seeds in small skillet over medium heat until slightly darkened, about 2 minutes. Crush coarsely or grind.
Mix the ground spices with oil, vinegar, curry powder, paprika, and salt. Pour dressing over vegetables; toss to coat.
Roast vegetables until tender, stirring occasionally, about 35 minutes.
Sprinkle with fresh cilantro. Serve warm or at room temperature.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

MACARONI AND CHEESE (ODE TO EDNA LEWIS)

GREEN SAUCE

GRANDMA'S SWISS STEAK