CHICKEN WITH OLIVES AND TOMATOES

The past 3 months have been a journey of pain, frustration, wonderment, and profound gratitude. Unable to do much of anything, I had the love and support of my wonderful friends, my amazing family and an incredible partner and husband. As cranky as I was I eagerly anticipated one delicious dinner to another, prepared daily, by Michael. My plan was to blog about each recipe so that I would remember these wonderful meals, but that proved to be a little too ambitious given the discomfort that I was in.
Today, I am nearly mended and hoping to resume my life as it once was. Best of all, I am back in the kitchen, cooking for those I love. However, I intend to cherish the memories of those lovely dinners from a generous and loving guy, and share some of my favorites.  
This is one of them. This dish is especially good when tomatoes are in season.  It is quick and easy, yet warm and comforting. Accompany with a salad and a baguette, (or Microwave Rosemary Potatoes* a la Michael) add a glass of wine, and you have weeknight heaven.  

RECIPE
4 servings

9 cloves of garlic
1 teaspoon Aleppo pepper or 1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes
1 teaspoon soy sauce
4 Tablespoons olive oil
3 1/2 lbs. chicken thighs
2 lbs. tomatoes, halved or quartered if large
2 sprigs fresh thyme
1/3 cup pitted olives

Grate the 1 clove garlic and place in a bowl large enough to toss chicken. Add Aleppo or red pepper, soy sauce, 1 tablespoon olive oil, salt and pepper and rub all over the chicken parts.
Toss tomatoes, olives, thyme, remaining 8 garlic cloves, salt and pepper in a wide skillet large enough to hold the chicken.
Arrange the chicken on top of the tomatoes and simmer, covered, for 30-40 minutes. 
The chicken will stew in all the tomato juices. Serve with a baguette, if desired,  to sop up all the yummy sauce, or the delicious potatoes, below. 

Microwave Rosemary Potatoes
4 servings

4 medium potatoes, cubed
3 Tablespoons olive oil 
2 Tablespoons fresh or 2 teaspoons dried rosemary
salt and pepper to taste

Toss all ingredients together in a glass bowl and microwave on high for 2 minutes. if the potatoes are not easily peirced with a paring knife, toss and microwave another minute. Continue with 1 minute intervals until soft. 
(Different potatoes take different amounts of time)




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

MACARONI AND CHEESE (ODE TO EDNA LEWIS)

GREEN SAUCE

GRANDMA'S SWISS STEAK