GREEN SAUCE


Every weekend I make a green sauce out of all the various greens that I have purchased from the Farmers Market. This can include turnip, radish, carrot,  and beet greens, kale spinach and any mixture of herbs. I blend it with as many cloves of garlic as my mood inspires, and top it off with a generous pouring of my Lebanese Olive Oil. Sometimes I add lemon juice, but more often than not I just season it with salt and several grinds of pepper.

The uses for this sauce are numerous. It is always on one of my Sunday pizzas, I add nuts and cheese to make a pesto for pasta recipes, I blend in olives for a sauce for grilled meats, and use it as a base for salad dressings, dips and a variety of sauces such as a Green Goddess or a Yogurt-Herb. Seasoning can always be adjusted. That is why keeping it simple, at first, is best. You can always add spices and ingredients depending on the type of cuisine that you are preparing.

The taste can vary with the kind of greens and the amounts that you use. You need to play around to find your favorite combinations and flavor. I don’t think that I have done the same sauce twice.

You can also use it as a base for a beverage and just feel the fiber, vitamins and minerals pulsating through your arteries and veins. This is a great way to protect your heart, lower your sugar, consume those wonderful anti-oxidants, and get the recommended amount of veggies in a delicious, fast and easy way.
So pull out that blender and make your sauce this weekend, spread it on your pizza dough, top it with olives red onions and feta, (or any combination you choose to create), and enjoy. I bet it will become your weekend ritual, as well.   




Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

MACARONI AND CHEESE (ODE TO EDNA LEWIS)

GRANDMA'S SWISS STEAK